Transcripts & Records

The Registrar’s Office is responsible for maintaining academic records and issuing transcripts on behalf of Saint Michael’s College. Please see the detailed information below on requesting transcripts, verifications, and other academic records.

Order Official Transcripts

Official transcripts bear the Registrar’s signature and the college seal, and they are typically sent directly to the institution, organization or other third party. Official transcripts are available in both electronic and hard-copy format. Saint Michael’s College partners with Parchment, a third-party vendor that facilitates our online transcript ordering system and serves as our official agent for secure electronic delivery of official transcripts. Transcripts are $8 per order payable by credit card.

Students and former students with holds on their records for reasons such as unpaid bills, outstanding library materials, etc. will not be able to order official transcripts until the hold is removed by the appropriate office.

Parchment support can be reached at

Current students and recent graduates of Saint Michael’s College with access to their mySMC portal can easily download a copy of their unofficial transcript in KnightVision Self Service. The Registrar’s Office will also provide unofficial transcripts by request to former students without access to mySMC.

Click here for detailed instructions on how to request or download your unofficial transcript.

Students may need verification of their enrollment status or degree for a multitude of purposes, including insurance coverage, student loan deferment, or applications for jobs and/or graduate programs.

National Student Clearinghouse

Saint Michael’s College has authorized the National Student Clearinghouse, a non-profit association founded by the higher education community, to provide degree and enrollment verifications for students and former students. The Clearinghouse streamlines the student record verification process for colleges and universities, current and former students, lending institutions, employers, and other organizations through a single, highly automated point-of-contact for organizations and individuals requiring timely and accurate verification of student enrollment, degree and loan data. The Clearinghouse maintains a secure site that’s available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, through which students may download and/or print an enrollment certificate or degree verification for a small fee.

Clearinghouse Enrollment Verification

Clearinghouse Degree Verification

SMC Portal

Current students can request enrollment verifications through a form available in the mySMC portal.

Apostille is a French word that means certification. It is a form of authentication appropriate to countries that signed the 1961 Hague Convention Abolishing the Requirement of Legalization of Foreign Public Documents.

Students and former students living and working abroad may need educational records like diplomas or transcripts authenticated with an apostille. Students who require an apostille should complete the following steps:

  1. Send the Registrar’s office a letter requesting the apostille along with a completed Transcript Request Form and/or a photocopy of your diploma. Please note that the College does not keep copies of diplomas. Students who require a replacement diploma should specify that in the letter, and request/pay for the replacement using this link.
  2. Include a completed State of Vermont Apostille Request form. This form – along with additional information about apostilles – is available on the Vermont Secretary of State website.
  3. Enclose a check ($10 for each document) made out to the Vermont Secretary of State.
  4. If documents need to be sent via special means such as Federal Express, include a prepaid air bill. Unless otherwise instructed, the Secretary of State’s Office will use first class mail.

When the Registrar’s Office receives the items mentioned above, office staff will prepare the documents, have them notarized by a Vermont Notary Public, complete the affidavit, and send the documents and fees to the Vermont Secretary of State.

Saint Michael’s College houses the academic records for Trinity College of Vermont, formerly located in Burlington, Vermont. Former Trinity students may order official transcripts through our online transcript ordering system. Fees apply.

Order Official Transcripts

Saint Michael’s College awards degrees three times per academic year: in December (after fall term), in May (after spring term), and in August (after summer term). For August and December graduates, degrees are added to transcripts and diplomas are mailed within three weeks of the official graduation date. May graduates generally receive diplomas at the May Commencement ceremony. Degrees are added to May graduates’ student records within one week of Commencement. For those who do not attend Commencement, diplomas are mailed within three weeks following the ceremony.

The College does not retain copies of diplomas, nor do we provide copies of diplomas to third parties. Diplomas are ceremonial documents, not official documents. They are generally not accepted as proof that a student earned a degree. Students who need official documentation verifying their degree should order an official transcript.

Replacement Diplomas

Occasionally a graduate may want a replacement diploma because the original was lost or damaged, or due to a name change. Replacement diplomas may be requested through the Registrar’s Office. Note that replacement diplomas display the signatures of the current Saint Michael’s College President and Vice President for Academic Affairs, but show the original date of the award.

Saint Michael’s College offers replacement diplomas via Parchment, a third-party vendor that facilitates online credential ordering. The cost for a replacement diploma is $25 (includes domestic shipping) and payable by credit card. In the case of a name change, the Registrar’s Office will follow up to request the appropriate name change documentation to accompany the request, such as a marriage license or court order. After the order has been received, allow four weeks for delivery.

Order Replacement Diploma